How to upload a thumbnail
Custom thumbnails are one of the most important elements in drawing attention to your video, a good thumbnail makes you stand out in the crowd. Thumbnails should be 1280 x 720 px in size (with a minimum width of 640 pixels), must use a JPG, GIF, PNG or BMP file type and be under 2MB in size. Best practice for thumbnails is to use bright colours, with the image focus being either a person making eye contact with the camera or an action shot.
Currently, custom thumbnails can only be uploaded from Desktop. To upload a custom thumbnail, your account must be both Verified and in good standing.
- Log in and click your channel icon at the top right of the page
- Select Creator Studio
- Open the Video Manager dropdown in the sidebar
- Navigate to the video you want to add a thumbnail to
- Click Edit
- To the right of the video, there will be a selection of three automatically generated thumbnails and a fourth option for Custom Thumbnail. (if you already have a custom thumbnail uploaded, this will read as Change Image)
- A file navigation window will open. Locate and select the thumbnail image and click Open
- Select Save Changes at the top-right of the page